Friday, January 18, 2008

Shrinking Violet turns into Big Bertha!!!!

Well, I am still reeling from the news of the day. But let me back up a little bit. I have been saying for a couple of weeks now that I think the tumor is getting bigger. I told the Physicians Asst. who said it was just getting denser. I told the chemo nurse who promised to give the doctor a note...that didn't get done because of what the PA wrote in my file. After calling my GP and being told to call the oncologist and insist on a call back, there was magically an appointment for me this morning. The fact that I mentioned in my message that I was upset and considering getting another opinion probably got their attention. So, this morning I go in for my meeting with Dr. and I tell him the same thing. I really feel the tumor is enlarged. He does his exam and recommends I get another ultrasound today. I asked him if he felt like it had grown and he said "no"! So, I am now thinking maybe I am crazy and he is just ordering this test to placate me. Well! I am sad to say that I was right. This stupid tumor is bigger than when they first discovered it!

Now, the radiologist gets on the phone with the oncologist and he gets on the phone with the surgeon and I haven't even left the building when they call me to say we need to reschedule surgery! Are you still with me? So, the bottom line is I am not crazy and we are not going to Barbados!!! I now want this creepy thing out of me and the soonest I can have it done is February 6th! I am really bummed about the trip but I feel I just can't ignore Bertha if she is making a move. The doctors have no answers as to why. This is not unusual they say...the tumor becomes resistant to the chemo, blah, blah, blah. Just my luck!

Well, here's my take on this bump in the road. Listen to your body and become your own advocate for health care! Pull all the strings you can and insist on getting your questions answered. I wish I had been wrong but I just knew something wasn't right. I was just a little out of sync and didn't want to talk to anyone or blog anything cause I just had a feeling that something was wrong. In this case, I hate to say it but "I told you so, Doc".

I am OK with this. My surgeon said waiting a few weeks would not change anything and to not go into a panic mode. So, I am therefore going to just enjoy the next few weeks and celebrate the fact that chemo for me is OVER!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dottie, I am so sorry to hear that the tide has turned :( I'll be praying hard for you and that all goes well with the surgery.

Hugs to You!
Cindy

Ladybug said...

Oh, Dottie...I'm so sorry! I'm glad you were persistent and finally got your way! That's a bummer about missing your Barbados trip. You'll be in our prayers!

Big Hugs!
Ace