Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Camp was FUN, I was NOT!




Bad timing on the part of my last chemo treatment. All the promises of this drug being a "cake walk" were lies! I was sick the whole weekend with bone aches and horrible mouth issues.....my energy level was zapped and I missed out on lots of the activities...bed time was 7:30 for me and i slept! What a major disappointment. I did, however, rally at times and got to meet a lot of wonderful people. I had an awesome roommate who thought to bring me back a "s'more" from the campfire and to check up on me during my down times. Thanks Gayle! The activities were all fun...some soul-searching, some inspirational and many heart rendering...lots of hugs and tears were shared and promises of continued friendships. It really was a treat for everyone that attended. The food was amazing (though I didn't eat much and lost another 3 pounds)and the staff was there to meet every little need. The facility was beautiful and was set right on the Manatee River where we were able to go canoeing. This is a picture of the little chapel on the grouds....exactly what you would picture it to be.
Keith came down to pick me up on Sunday and after taking the tour, meeting all my new friends and eating lunch, we headed home. I promptly collapsed and have been in and out of the doctors all week. The side effects from this last round have really been whoppers. In addition to all the known problems that re-ocurred, this time I've added a rash to my face, neck and hand that burns like heck and itches in the process. Yesterday I looked like I had been out in the sun and just fried my face. This morning, I look like a scaly lizard as the cortizone cream dried it up in the night and now I think my face is going to crumble off in pieces. This is all so lovely. I had to have two more infusions this week as a result of dehydration ... a situation that just occurs when you can't eat or drink enough because your mouth and throat hurt so bad. ack!!! I hate this! BUT, at least today I think I am headed in the right direction. I don't have time for all this down-time! Every day I fall farther and farther behind in the Christmas process. Any personal shoppers out there??? Any bakers? Any wrappers? Send help!
SO, not the best report this week but hopefully things are looking better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dang, I'm so sorry you've been feeling so miserable....but I knew you'd like camp and make some new friends. Don't worry about that Christmas stuff! You know that everyone will understand if it doesn't get done. Sending you gentle hugs and big prayers!

betty said...

Dottie,
Good to talk with you today.
My blog is The Chicken and Goat Yard. I will post some pictures later.
I created it so that I can communicate with you.
love you,
betty